Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Nice Job, Viva!


I was watching TV the other night and I saw a commercial for new Viva vantage paper towels (linked below). I have previously seen other products, like Wheat Thins, use positive twitter posts from their pages as a TV marketing tools, but I’ve never seen a company use someone else’s positive posts (especially not a competitors) for their own marketing benefit before, and I found the result remarkably fascinating!


After seeing this commercial, I couldn’t seem to shake the contemplation. I wondered first, if you were a Bounty user would this make you think about switching or would it make you feel betrayed? Then I wondered how Bounty felt about it and how Viva got the rights to use their name. The next thought was how do current Viva customers feel about it, maybe “our posts aren’t’ good enough you have to steal Bounty’s”? I eventually came to the conclusion that it didn’t’ matter; I definitely wanted to try this new towel and see what all the hype was about. Believe it or not, the very next time I was at the store I actually bought some Viva Vantage towels!

So I guess all I can say is this - hats off Viva marketers, you did your job, you switched over a competitor’s customer and used relevant social media to boot.. now all I wonder is how many more like me are out there… What do you think? Does this TV spot make you want to try Viva?

No comments:

Post a Comment